MARK – Guitars, Backing Vocals
Real name: Mark Furtner
Birthday & Birthplace: July 9th, Sydney, Australia.
Instrument: Guitars, Backing Vocals.
Other instruments played: I play a bit of Piano.
Influences (playing): Michael Romeo, Dimebag, Slash, Satch and Kiko are some of many.
Influences (song-writing): Symphony X, Evergrey, Ayreon for a start.
What bands were you in prior to LORD? The Burke Ward primary school drum and fife band!
Have you been involved in any other projects whilst in LORD? My love of prog has spawned FROMBEYOND check it out: www.myspace.com/frombeyondoz
How long have you been playing? Picked up a guitar in 1993 and never looked back.
What gear do you currently use? I have a few ESP guitars, I use an MII live and MII’s and Custom’s in the studio. All are equipped with DiMarzio pickups and Dean Markley strings, I also use LINE6 preamps, BBE and a Dunlop wah.
Is your current instrument the one you started on? Actually I toyed with Drums before starting on guitar.
What prompted you to start playing? Watching the greats perform gave me the biggest thrill, I wanted to do the same.
What is your most memorable gig? Performing with Nightwish at the Enmore joined by a few thousand people – that was pretty cool.
What is something about yourself that would surprise people who don’t really know you yet? I’d love to build custom choppers for a living.
Have you got any hobbies outside of LORD? I’m heavily into bodybuilding which keeps me feeling fit and strong. I also enjoy films, gigs and spending time with friends.
Do you have a personal website? Facebook – I love meeting people with similar interests.
- Foods: Fruit, salads, seafood, pasta, sushi, Turkish pide, amongst many others.
- Drinks: Golden Ale, Makers Mark, Cranberry juice, H2O.
- Movies / TV shows: The Simpsons, American Choppers, Mythbusters, Supernatural and doco’s on anything you can learn from.
- Books: The Conan Chronicles, Metallica Unbound, Mustaine bio, Slash bio, The new encyclopaedia of modern bodybuilding.
- Bands: Symphony X, Evergrey, Ayreon, Within Temptation, Kamelot, Slayer, Nightwish, Southern Sons, John Farnham, Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, The Highwaymen to name a few.
- Sports: Rugby League, NBA.
- Websites: I really only just check e-mails and Facebook.
What is the best thing about being in LORD? Writing and performing with talented musicians, touring and meeting people (let’s not forget the partying!)
What is the worst thing? There is nothing bad about doing what you love.
Any other information you wish to divulge? PROUD endorsee of ESP guitars, Dean Markley strings and DiMarzio pickups. I’m thrilled to be representing these quality products or as I like to put it, “the brush for my canvas.”
Final comments: Music has a way of touching people on so many levels and to be a creator and performer of this fine art is a dream and blessing. Playing with LORD expands my horizons and the further I can see, the farther I can go.